Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Looking for Alaska Book Review



 Title: Looking For Alaska
Author: John Green
Series: NA
Rating: 4/5 Stars
Bookshelves on Goodreads:  books-i-own, contemporary, favorites, have-high-hopes-for, middle-of-nowhere, read, romance

“So I walked back to my room and collapsed on the bottom bunk, thinking that if people were rain, I was drizzle and she was a hurricane.”

There is something about this book that makes me want to smile & cry at the same time. It's not perfect, It's not TFIOS, but it is beautiful all the same. It kind of reminded me a lot of Paper Towns, in the means of nerdy boy falls for messed up, free girl. But I didn't care that it was similar because it was similar in all of the good ways. I loved the friendships in this book and there were moments were I was almost bawling because I was laughing so hard.

I feel like this is one of those books were you should go into it not knowing much, because you get a great/awful shock in the middle and I don't want to ruin that. But I will tell you a little bit. The main character's name is Miles. Miles is a nerdy kid who doesn't have many friends, so he switches schools to go to a bordering school to find his "great perhaps". He gets there and makes three good friends: Alaska, the Colonel, and Takumi.

I love all of the characters in this book to death. Miles is just a sweet, nerdy guy. He reads people's last words. The one thing that makes me admire him the most is that he goes after his dreams. He doesn't just sit there and deal with his semi awful situation, he deals with it and I think that is awesome. Alaska is a free spirited, book loving girl. I think that she is really cool even though she does some things that annoy me.

The Colonel is amazingly funny. Like 90% of the jokes that I laughed at were his. He just seems like a good friend. Takumi is funny as shit as well. Overall I just really liked this book. The one thing that I didn't like about this book is that the ending is kind of unresolved. Sure we get some answers but I don't feel like I got enough. It is hard to explain without spoilers, but people who have read it will get it. But I really enjoyed this book. It was just as I expected from John Green.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2014 A Polished Bookworm