Sunday, June 22, 2014

Some Many Books to Review, So Little Space

I'm so bad at reviewing books in a proper time. Like really it is awful. I have 8 to review dating back to March, so I'm just going to do two group review things. So today I have Panic by Lauren Oliver, Hold Still by Nina LaCour, The Scorch Trials by James Dashner, and If I Stay by Gayle Forman. I am going to shorten them a little bit, just for space and time.


 Title: Panic
Author: Lauren Oliver
Series: NA
Rating: 4/5 Stars
Bookshelves on Goodreads: contemporary, middle-of-nowhere, look-at-that-cover-I-want-to-vomit, read, romance, have-high-hopes-for, pissed-me-off

 "There was always a way up, and out, and no need to be afraid.” 

Panic is a game that seniors in Carp play because they have nothing better too do. Carp is one of those in the middle of nowhere kind of places. They have a gas station, a convience store, and that's about it. So back to Panic, its a game that graduating seniors play the summer after they graduate. Money is donated through out the year and put into a pot. Then the winner wins all at the end of Panic.

Our main characters (and POVS) are Heather and Dodge. Heather never wanted to play Panic but after her boyfriend of a few years brakes up with her, she changes her mind. She has one sister and a no good mother who drinks, smokes, and curses way too much. So Heather is kind of like a motherly figure for her sister. Dodge has always wanted to play Panic. He wants to play for revenge. Along the way, he learns that everyone has a reason to play Panic, and everyone is as fueled as him.

I liked this book a lot. I loved reading about the challenges and seeing how the characters reacted them. I also liked seeing the characters rise up to personal problems, outside of Panic. But I didn't really like feel much for the characters. I liked them but I was never attached. I also hated Nat (Heather's best friend) so much. Lauren Oliver's writing was as beautiful as ever. Overall I really enjoyed it.


Title: Hold Still
Author: Nina LaCour
Series: NA
Rating: 4/5 Stars
Bookshelves on Goodreads: books-i-own, love-the-cover, mental-illnesses, my-emotions-i-cannot, read, romance

“The sun stopped shining for me is all. The whole story is: I am sad. I am sad all the time and the sadness is so heavy that I can't get away from it. Not ever.”

This book was amazing, depressing, and completely personalized. By personalized I mean that, I understand what this person was going through by losing a best friend. I haven't lost a best friend really, but many aunts, uncles, and all of my grandparents. But saying that, this book nailed the feeling of grief. It went through all of the stages and was completlely correct.

So as you might have guessed, this book is out a girl named Caitlyn, and how she loses her best friend to suicide. The book is mostly about her struggle to get back to a normal life, after so much trama. So while I liked it, it was enough to give it 5 stars. It did come close though.


Title: The Scorch Trials
Author: James Dashner
Series: Maze Runner #2
Previous Series Reviews: Maze Runner 
Rating: 5/5 Stars

 “No. I kind of accepted it, in a way. That saving you was worth losing what we might've had.”

(Spoilers if you haven't read the Maze Runner)
This sequel to the Maze Runner was amazing and confusing. If you read my review of the Maze Runner, you will know that it was just super confusing and that is why I docked off a star from that review. While The Scorch Trials was confusing, it was not nearly as confusing as the Maze Runner. The Scorch Trials leaves you with a lot of emotions, questions, and feels. I felt for all of the characters and got mad at Wicked for their way of treating the boys. 

The Scorch Trials picks up right after the Maze Runner. They thought that they were going to be saved from Wicked, but instead they were just lead into another trap. The maze was just the start, know they have to go unto trial two, The Scorch Trials. They have to walk across the scorch (where the sun's rays have mad it as hot as hades, and dangerous) and make it to a safe point, to prove themselves to Wicked. 

In the Scorch Trials I learned to love the boys and feel for them. I also learned that in this dystopian world, no one is who they say they are. The Scorch Trials took my breath away. 

 Title: If I Stay
Author: Gayle Forman
Series: If I Stay #1
Rating: 5/5 Stars
Bookshelves on Goodreads: blood-everywhere, book-boyfriends, books-i-own, favorite-series, favorites, have-high-hopes-for, my-emotions-i-cannot, read, romance, serious-illnesses

"Sometimes you make choices in life and sometimes choices make you." 

If I Stay is a contender for my favorite book, ever. It was just so perfect, breathtaking, and beautiful. I seriously can't find my words to how perfect this book truly is. Like I read this about a month ago, but I still can't find my words. If you haven't read this, do it. I don't care who you are, you will love it. 

Mia has a great life, a great family, a great boyfriend, talent, everything. She doesn't realize that she can lose it because of one driver on the road. Her family gets into a car crash and her mom and dad die instantly. Mia and her younger brother Teddy are barely holding on to their lives. Mia finds herself outside of her body, looking at herself in the hospital and looking her family and Adam. It is her choice, if she stays or goes. She has to make the choice to live or die. 

One of the main reasons why I loved this book so much is Adam (Mia's boyfriend). God, he is just so perfect. Then when he finds out about the car crash, he is hystrical and runs into the hospital. I just find that so freaking adorable. I also loved Mia's character and basically everyone else. This book shows people what loss truly is. If I Stay is heart wrenching, beautiful, and tragic. Its a book that I will never forget. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2014 A Polished Bookworm