Saturday, November 8, 2014

Monument 14 Book Review

Title: Monument 14
Author: Emmy Laybourne
Series: Monument 14 #1
Rating: 4/5
Shelves on Goodreads: book-boyfriends, dystopia, have-high-hopes-for, books-i-own, love-the-cover

"But the truth is:
I am the light. You are the light.
We are lit up together."


I remember when I was a kid, when I would go grocery shopping with my mom I would hide behind all the paper towel bundles and make a fort. I always kind of wanted to live in a store. I mean, you would have everything and anything at your disposal. So when I saw Monument 14 at Half Price Books and read the summary, I instantly knew that I was going to go read this and indulge my childhood.

I really enjoyed Monument 14. Sure, it had its quirks and disappointments, but I had a lot of fun reading it. Monument 14 revolves around Dean, a teenager who gets stuck in grocery store with a group of other kids and teens. The world is ending and is stuck with a ton of natural disasters. The kids get stuck in a huge hail storm on a bus until their bus drives straight through the doors of this grocery store.

So they set up shelter there. The teens take care of the kids and almost form their own little tribe. Everyone has a job. They even build a huge fort that they sleep in. Dean's little brother is among the group, with some jocks, and his crush. So much drama in one grocery store.

I found that the characters were either a hit or miss for me. I liked Dean, he was nice, kind, and a writer. I liked Jake, Niko, and Dean's little brother. But I didn't like Astrid or Josey, they both were selfish and annoying as hell. So this was one of my issues with this book.

I was surprised because with a book full of kids, you would expect it to be less brutal. There was a ton of action, deaths, a sex scene, and a near rape. It was interesting and action packed, which I found to be an almost added bonus because I really didn't expect it.

Overall this book was really fun and interesting. While it wasn't perfect, it was a good read. I can't wait to read the next one!  

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2014 A Polished Bookworm