Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Impulse Book Review

Title: Impulse
Author: Ellen Hopkins
Series: Impulse #1
Rating: 4/5 Stars
Trigger Warning: cutting, depression, and suicide
Bookshelves on Goodreads: 2014-reads, books-i-own, damaged-guys, ending-destroyed-me, mental-illness, my-emotions-i-cannot, poetry, read, romance

“Forever has no meaning when you're living in the moment.”

Before I say anything else, I want to say that this book needs a serious trigger warning for depression/cutting/suicide. So if you are affected by that, I would think before reading this. This book is really dark and depressing, yet hopeful. I like it a lot but it was a little too depressing for me and I ended up really sad after this book.

Impulse is about three teens who have all tried to commit suicide, and failed. They end up in a psychiatric hospital called Aspen Springs. They each have different stories and different reasons for wanting to be dead. Together they help each other and fight that nagging feeling that says they aren't good enough.

One thing I looked so completely about Impulse is Ellen Hopkin's writing style. It is so beautiful. I loved how the whole book was written in prose. I think it added a lot of emotions to the book, that we might not have gotten without it. I also loved all the characters. I felt like I really understood them, and connected with them in some ways.

The only reason I gave this 4 stars, instead of 5, is because is it very sad. It was one of those books that just left my heart torn. But overall I really loved Impulse and can't wait to read more of Ellen Hopkin's books!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2014 A Polished Bookworm