Friday, October 10, 2014

The Evolution of Mara Dyer Book Review

Title: The Evolution of Mara Dyer
Author: Michelle Hodkin
Series: Mara Dyer #2
Previous Reviews from this Series: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer
Rating: 5/5 Stars
Bookshelves on Goodreads: book-boyfriends, books-i-own, damaged-guys, ending-destroyed-me, favorites, have-high-hopes-for, love-the-cover, mental-illness, my-emotions-i-cannot, romance

“I’ll walk forever with stories inside me that the people I love the most can never hear.”

This book blew me away. I loved the first book, The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer, but this one raised the bar. It is going to be hard to review it without spoilers, but there will be spoilers from the first book, I can't really help that.

This book continues off from where the first one left off. Mara is in a hospital after she saw Jude in the police station and her dad got shot. She gets out of the hospital, quits school, and goes to a out-treatment facility for mental health. Noah and her are together but their relationship is really rocky. They spend a lot of time trying to find Jude and finding out who they are.

The number one best things that came out of this book was character development. Mara grows a ton and starts to find out more about herself. Her mental health/supernatural situation still gets to her, driving her insane. But I saw a lot more fight and responsibility in her.

Noah has so much character development, we start to find out who he really is. We get to see past his sarcastic, pretty face and learn how hurt he really is. Noah & Mara's relationship also develops a lot through out the book. They get really serious.

“If I were to live a thousand years, I would belong to you for all of them. If we were to live a thousand lives, I would want to make you mine in each one.”

I also really enjoyed Mara's brothers in this one. We really get to know Daniel and learn what a great brother he is.

“My brother cleared his throat. "I wish she knew that I think she is the most hilarious person on Earth. And that whenever she's not home, I feel like I'm missing my partner in crime."
My throat tightened. Do not cry. Do not cry.
"I wish she knew that she's really Mom's favorite--"
I shook my head here.
"--the princess she always wanted. That Mom used to dress her up like a little doll and parade her around like Mara was her greatest achievement. I wish Mara knew that I never minded, because she's my favorite too.”


This series is mysterious and beautiful. Hodkin has a way of making me feel exactly what the characters feel. I felt Mara's confusion and doubt in whether she was insane or had powers or both. She actually made me question my earlier assumptions about the book, which I loved. The book has a seriously awful cliff hanger and I can't wait for the next book in the series!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2014 A Polished Bookworm