Thursday, October 2, 2014

Throne of Glass Book Review

  Title: Throne of Glass
  Author: Sarah J. Mass
  Series: Throne of Glass #1
  Rating: 4/5 Stars
  Bookshelves on Goodreads: blood-everywhere, books-i-own, have-high-hopes-for, other-supernatural, read, romance

“My name is Celaena Sardothien. But it makes no difference if my name's Celaena or Lillian or Bitch, because I'd still beat you, no matter what you call me.”

For some reason I really didn't expect to like Throne of Glass. I had my hopes up, but I felt like I was going to be that one person that thought the book didn't live up to its hype. I think I was a little scared because I have never been a huge fantasy person. But it mostly did live up to its hype. I thought Throne of Glass was a really fun read and memorable.

This book is about an assassin named Celaena Sardothien. She was one of the greatest assassins, but she got sent to salt mines. She was tortured and punished there for a year. Then the Prince of Adarlan Dorian offers her freedom if she wins a competition to be the king's champion then serves him for a few years. She accepts and travels with Dorian and his men to the castle.

When she gets there she is trained by Captain of the Guard Chaol. The competition is intense and when people started getting murdered, she had even more to worry about then having to return to the salt mines if she loses.

I really enjoyed most of the characters. It did take me a while to like Celaena though because she had this self loving attitude that really bothered me. But she seemed to grow out of it as she went on. Dorian was okay, I mean he was charming and mysterious but I didn't think he had that much depth. I didn't really like Chaol at first but about half way though I loved him. He is so protective and he really believes in Celaena.

People say that this book has a Hunger Games feel to it, but it doesn't really. The only similar concept is that there is a competition and people die. But really this book wasn't anything like the Hunger Games. The competition in Throne of Glass was fun to read about. They had a bunch of different tests and training. It made it interesting that Celaena was competing against a bunch of murders and thieves.

So while Throne of Glass didn't blow me away, it was a really great book. I can't wait to read the next one!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2014 A Polished Bookworm