Monday, July 6, 2015

It's Kind of a Funny Story Book Review

Title: It's Kind of a Funny Story
Author: Ned Vizzini
Series: N/A
Rating: 5/5 stars
Trigger warning: depression, suicide, cutting, eating disorders, anxiety
Bookshelves on Goodreads: 2014-reads, books-i-own, damaged-guys, favorites, mental-illness, my-emotions-i-cannot, read

“People are screwed up in this world. I'd rather be with someone screwed up and open about it than somebody perfect and ready to explode.”

I remember watching the movie adaption of this book three-four years ago. Yes, I did watch the movie first, sue me. So I liked the movie but I wasn't really prepared for this book after watching it. I don't really have words to explain how great and relatable this book truly is. Also it was hilarious.

It's Kind of a Funny Story is about Craig Gilner's road down depression. He gets into Manhattan's top pre-professional high school, but the pressure and stress build up. He stops eating and sleeping and gets very depressed. Then one night he almost kills himself and ends up in a mental hospital.

While in the hospital he meets people who help him get better. One of those people is Noelle, who is the romantic interest. like I said earlier I thought that this book was really funny. It might sound weird saying that about a book about depression, but it fits. If you are struggling with a mental disorder this book will probably be pretty relatable but mildly triggering. If you read it to the end though I think that it is really inspiring.

I also want to put a little bit of a tribute in here for Ned Vizzini. He commited suicide back in December 2013, he was 32. In this book he mentions at the end that he also spent time in a mental hospital which I'm guessing is partly where he got the inspiration for this book. I obviously didn't know him personally but I was really sad when I heard about his death. He was a great writer and is greatly missed.

Back to his book at hand, it was one of my favorite books of 2014. Its funny, inspirational, and brilliant. I would recommend it to anyone, unless you think it might trigger you. I hope that I get to read more of Vizzini's works in the future.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2014 A Polished Bookworm