Tuesday, July 7, 2015

The Retribution of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer #3) Book Review



Title: The Retribution of Mara Dyer
Author: Michelle Hodkin
Series: Mara Dyer #3
Other Book Reviews from this Series: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer and The Evolution of Mara Dyer
Rating: 5/5 stars
Trigger Warning: mental illness, depression
Bookshelves on Goodreads: book-boyfriends, books-i-own, damaged-guys, favorites, have-high-hopes-for, love-the-cover, mental-illness, my-emotions-i-cannot, romance, 2015-reads
 
“Do not find peace. Find passion.”

So basically this book is life. The Mara Dyer trilogy is one of my all time favorites. The way that this story captures me was just so intense. It was so mysterious, beautiful, and perfect in almost every way. I'm really sad that this series is done but I'm bitter sweet too.

So obviously because of spoiler reasons I can't really go into the plot. So I can tell you that this series is about a girl trying to find out who she is and why she can hurt and kill people with her thoughts. Along the way she finds herself in the middle of mystery, romance, friendship, and mental hospitals.

Two of my favorite aspects of this series in a whole are the romance and the comedy. Firstly, the main romantic interest Noah is to die for. Him and Mara go so great together and they give me all of the feels.

“This is a love story. Twisted and messy. Flawed and screwed up. But it's ours. It's us."

“As I was saying. He could never use you. You own him. You should’ve seen the way he was looking at you while you were out.”
I smiled a little. “How?”
“Like you’re the ocean and he’s desperate to drown.”


Secondly, the comedy and sense of humor in this trilogy is intense. Basically 75% of the good jokes happen between Mara and Jamie. It's the kind of self-depreciating humor that I can appreciate.

“I planted a kamikaze kiss on Jamie’s cheek.
“FUCK,” he shouted, wiping it off. “What if you killed me!” He threw a Skittle at my face. It hit my forehead.
“Ow!”
“Taste the rainbow bitch.”


“Names?' the receptionist asked us.
“Jesus,” Jamie answered.
“Mary,” said Stella.
“Satan,” I said as I walked past her and pushed open the door to Ira Ginsberg’s office.”


I could go on and on but I'm probably lucky if you are still reading this. To summarize: this book series is the bomb and if you haven't read it, how dare you. (Haha just kidding... kind of) I can't to read more from Michelle Hodkin!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2014 A Polished Bookworm