Sunday, February 16, 2014

Thirteen Reasons Why Book Review


I know most of you are probably wondering why I would give this one 3 stars. Since I review completely by the Goodreads system, I gave it three stars, because I liked it. I didn't think it was ok and I didn't really like it. There are some aspects of this novel, that I like. Then there are some that I don't like and I will tell you more about them later.

This novel is about Clay Jensen and Hannah Baker. Hannah Baker commited suicide two weeks before the start of the story. She makes 7 cassette tapes, with thirteen reasons why she did it. But it isn't just thirteen reasons, its thirteen people. These tapes get passed around to thirteen different people that she blames from what she did. Well maybe blame isn't the right word. More like thirteen people that did bad things to her in the past, even if they don't know it. So after you get done listening to the tapes, you pass them on.

Clay was friends with Hannah. He was torn when she commited suicide. When he got the tapes, he has no clue why he would be on them. So he listens to each tape in one long night, traveling around town. He discovers things about his class mates and him, that he never wanted to know.

So I'll give you the reasons why I didn't like this first. The main reason was that it just pissed me off. Hannah reached out to so many people, and they like pushed her down farther. It wasn't the good emotional type of pissed of either. I was just pissed. I also didn't really like the flow of this novel. Clay would talk while listening to the tapes, so this would happen all of the time.

"Hello, boys and girls. Hannah Baker here. Live and in stereo. 
  I don't believe it.
 No return engagements. No encore. And this time, absolutely no requests.
 No, I can't believe it. Hannah Baker killed herself."

You see what I mean? It was so hard to follow. But the main reason that I liked this book, is because I liked Hannah. I really liked her character and her since of self. So don't get me wrong here, you should go read this. I did like it but it did have some flaws. I am disappointed though because she many people just loved it, so I was hoping for the same reaction.

It did have a message though, if you see someone struggling help them. Because if you read this, you know how much it will haunt you if you don't. It was very real and a very emotional read!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2014 A Polished Bookworm